Monday 14 July 2014

my fortress {unshakeable}

My soul finds rest in God alone; my salvation comes from Him. 
He alone is my rock and my salvation;
He is my fortress, I will never be shaken.
Psalm 62:1-2

The other morning I had 'finished' my Bible reading for that time, and was flipping through the Psalms, when I came to Psalm 62. I quickly read verses one and two, then read them again {several times}. There are a few amazing things I found in this verse that I thought I would share. 

The first part, my soul finds rest. Rest. Something my soul yearns for, and needs. There are days when my soul does not get its rest, and I feel oh so weary as a result. But there is something important to note. My soul finds rest in God, alone. No where else will my soul be satisfied so. When I need rest, there is one place I need to run to, and one place only. 

My salvation comes from Him. Salvation, to be saved. Saved from sin, from hell and Satan, from myself. 
It comes from God. I cannot save myself. It doesn't matter how strong or brave or anything I am. Salvation is only from the LORD.

He is my rock. That is, a firm, solid place which cannot be moved. A solid foundation to place my trust in.

He is my fortress. This reminds me of other verses which refer to God as a refuge, such as Psalm 46:1-3. A fortress is a place we can run to and it will keep us safe.

And now we get to my personal favourite part of this verse: what a promise we have here! I will never be shaken! I. Will. Never. Be. Shaken. When I am in the fortress, there is nothing that can shake me.




To 'sum' up this verse in one word, I would like to say secure. God is a secure rock and fortress for us, and in Him, we are secure.

blessings, friends!
emma

4 comments:

  1. wow, such a simple truth so beautifully put! and it's such a great reminder. thanks for this encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much for your lovely words and for popping by Julie :)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. oh yes :)
      thanks for clicking over to check out my post, and taking the time to leave a comment :)

      Delete